5 Facts about Antioxidants You Must Know
We have heard a lot about antioxidants and have read about its presence on our food packaging. It is important to know the facts and functions of antioxidants. Antioxidants are basically chemicals that defuse the free radicals and other molecular fragments that biologically damage the body. Here are 5 facts about antioxidants you must know.
1. Antioxidants help in slowing down the oxidation process. Fatty acids get affected during the process of oxidization. They are also present in the blood like they are present in the food and similarly go through the chemical changes.
2. Vitamin E, vitamin c, selenium, beta-carotene are all antioxidants. Vitamin E is present in cashews, almonds, crabs, shrimp, fish while orange, kiwi, strawberries, broccoli are good sources of vitamin C. Selenium is present in dairy products, meat, fish, cereal and beta- carotene is found in dark green, yellow and orange fruits and vegetables. These would help you remember clearly what food products you could consume for antioxidants.
3. The destruction of free radicals is the cause of declining memory along with aging. Memory is related to brain functioning and the brain is quite vulnerable as it lacks antioxidants. An adequate supply of antioxidants through the consumption of fruits and vegetables can help to enhance memory.
4. Other than fruits and vegetables, there are various sources of antioxidants like egg yolk, brown rice, whole wheat, coffee, oatmeal, safflower oil and dark chocolate.
5. You have may have heard that packaged juices and fortified cereals are loaded with antioxidants. However, that is not really true. This form of antioxidants becomes useless as soon as you open the packaging.