Top 13 Unknown Facts About Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. is arguably the most loved and most played video game ever. Mario and his brother Luigi have entertained generations as they travel through mushroom kingdom to rescue Princess Toadstool from Bowser. Over quarter of a century old and still going strong, the Super Mario Bros. has sold more than 40 million copies worldwide. Nintendo’s greatest success initially, this game continues to be one of the most preferred games even today. Mario, his dress, the mushroom kingdom, the bricks and the iconic soundtrack of the game is recognized by a record number across the planet. Here are some interesting and unknown about Super Mario Bros.
1. The world famous Mario was originally known as ‘Jumpman’. Mario started off as a carpenter and not a plumber.
2. Mario’s creator, the legendary Shigeru Miyamoto, was inspired by Alice in Wonderland.
3. Shigeru Miyamoto created Mario with the iconic hat because he found drawing hair difficult.
4. Mario also dons a mustache as it was easier to see with 8-bit graphics when compared to a mouth.
5. Mario was named after the landlord of Nintendo’s American headquarters, Mario Seagale.
6. Super Mario Bros. was released on Friday the 13th in Japan.
7. Mario has tried hands at many jobs in various editions. From starting off as a carpenter to being globally recognized as a plumber, Mario has also been a doctor, doctor, go-kart racer, a golfer, a tennis pro, a soccer player, a snowboarder, an athlete, a dancer, a demolition man, etc.
8. Mario was also part of an educational series of games like ‘Fun with numbers’ and ‘Fun with letters’.
9. Apart from bashing turtles in video games, Mario has also been in movies. The Hollywood adaptation of Super Mario Bros. starring Bob Hopkins and John Leguizamo brought Mario to the big screen but failed to make a big impact.
10. The graphics in Super Mario Bros. is the same for clouds and bushes but with different colors.
11. Though the world believes that Mario bashes bricks for coins with his head, actually he hits blocks with his fist.
12. Mario’s arch nemesis Bowser’s fireball is backwards.
13. Bowser also appears as a good guy in the 1996 title Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.