9 Interesting Facts About the Movie 12 Years a Slave
’12 Years a Slave’ received the ‘best picture’ Academy award and everyone’s perception about the Oscars changed. This movie truly deserved an Oscar because of its brave theme. After all, it was one of the highly anticipated critic’s choice movies. Listed below are some interesting facts about ’12 Years a Slave’ you would love to know.
1. Chiwetel Ejiofor played the character Solomon in the movie. The character was really challenging according to him. In fact, the role also affected his life as he had to take a break. He mentioned that the plot was so intense that he had to take a pause after listening to the script. Well, his hard work paid him well.
2. The movie is based on the real life story of Solomon Northup. Based on the famous novel, the plot was about a black free man who was abducted and forced into the bad world of slavery.
3. The cinematography of the movie deserves a big applause. This is because this movie was shot with a single camera. Sean Bobbitt had quoted in an interview that he shot with a single camera to give a real feel to all the scenes.
4. Bafta winner Steve McQueen directed the movie. He had also directed the movie ‘Shame’ which was released in the year 2011. He got critical acclaim for the movie ‘Shame’ and Oscar award for ’12 Years a Slave’. Way to go Steve!
5. Steve had decided that he would cast only Chiwetel for the role of Solomon in the movie. He had mentioned in an interview that no one else could suit in the character of Solomon. Chiwetel had that grace which was required in the script of the movie.