Hush-Hush! Secrets About The Movie ‘Black Swan’ Is Out
I have been totally obsessed with the movie “Black Swan” ever since I had a look at the trailers for the very first time. I spent lots and lots of time gathering as much as behind-the-scenes information as I could to satisfy this never-dying hunger of mine. Would you like to have a taste of the spicy gossip as well? Then read below.
- When the film was first discussed, actresses like Rachel Weisz and Jennifer Connelly were considered to play the lead role of Nina. Later no one knows what happened, but the beautiful Natalie Portman was chosen, who did complete justice to the role anyway. In the same way, Meryl Streep was considered for the role of Nina’s mother.
- The making of the script for this movie took about 10 years to be completed. I guess it was worth the wait, right?
- Natalie Portman took ballerina lessons that are meant for the age-groups of 4-13 in order to prepare herself for this role. The training commenced about a year before the principal shooting of the movie began. She was trained under Mary Helen Bowers. As a part of her training routine, Natalie also had to swim about a mile every single day. In spite of this, in a couple of scenes, dance doubles were used. For a scene or two, the special effects team also placed Natalie’s head over a professional ballerina’s body so that the scene looked flawless. Portman was shot dancing from above the waist, showing only her face and arms. The rest of the body dancing made use of the dance doubles.
- The main character’s name Nina was originally Alexandria. However it was later changed to Nina.
- We all loved the character Lily as the Black Swan, played by Mila Kunis. Did you know, Blake Lively also had auditioned for this role? However, Mila was chosen over Blake when Natalie suggested her name to the director. Mila then met him over Skype and the role was hers. She didn’t even have to audition for it!
- The film initially was started out as a screenplay and took place in a theater in New York. It was called “The Understudy”. However Darren Aronofsky, the director later suggested that it should be transformed into a ballet.
- A ballerina is supposed to look petite, fragile and delicate. In order to perfect her character, Natalie did a rigorous exercise routine for about 5 to 8 hours daily. She lost about 20 pounds of weight before the shoot began.
- Winona Ryder who plays the role of Beth Macintyre took only 10 days to complete filming for her role in the film.
- Natalie Portman revealed that the director, Darren Aronofsky, would try to create real-life tensions between her and Mila Kunis so that it would also appear on-screen. He did this by keeping the two actresses away during the shooting and by later sending each of them daunting messages about each other’s performances on that particular day.
- Natalie’s character Nina’s ringtone on her phone is the theme song of Black Swan.
Found this article interesting? Let me know.