Highs And Lows Of Amy Winehouse
Late singer Amy Winehouse has left a lot of people devastated because of her untimely death. While her fans all over the world are mourning for her, let us go back to the time when she was alive. We bring to you the heavenly highs and hellish lows of Amy Winehouse.
- Amy was born on September 14, 1983, in the Southgate area of north London, to Jewish parents. She was the younger one of two children.
- Amy loved singing even as a child. She had this constant habit of singing all the time. As a result, even her teachers would find it hard to keep her quiet in class.
- Amy received her first guitar at the age of 13. Soon after, she even began writing her own songs.
- She worked as a showbiz journalist for the World Entertainment News Network, while singing for a local band.
- Her debut album, Frank, was released on 20th October 2003. Within a few days from its release, it became a huge hit especially in the UK. It was also nominated for the the Mercury Prize.
- The release of her second album, Back To Black in the year 2006, made her a sensational star worldwide.
- Winehouse was especially known for her sturdy contralto vocals. Very few singers could do that.
- She was the first British woman to win 5 Grammy Awards.
- She shot to fame also because of her classifiable look that included her beehive hair, Cleopatra makeup and eye-catchy tattoos.
- By nature, Winehouse was known to be quite blunt. Her frankness was revealed in the songs from her album Back To Black where she openly spoke about her breakups and breakdowns. She was also known to be a person who wore her heart on her sleeve.