9 Interesting Mother’s Day Fact
Mother’s Day, the day when you express your love and gratitude to the one who welcomed you into the world, is nearing. It is always fun to celebrate this occasion of joy, love and gratefulness with the one who gave birth to you. There are some interesting facts and trivia about this day which you can know by going through this list.
1. You ought to give a bunch of carnations to your mommy dearest as the flower is a symbol of this special day dedicated to her. The tradition is to honor mothers who are living with colored flowers and offer white ones to those who are no more.
2. The mother of all mothers ever was probably a Russian lady called Mrs. Vassilyev who had 69 children in 27 pregnancies. She had no single births, but many sets of twins, triplets and quadruplets which made up her brood.
3. Next year, the tradition of Mother’s Day will turn a century old. Congress in the USA had designated Mother’s Day as the second Sunday of every May in 1914 at the request of Anna Jarvis, who first held similar observances in Philadelphia and West Virginia in 1908.
4. Although most of the world celebrates Mother’s Day on the second Sunday of every May, people of UK celebrate it in a different day. In the UK, Mother’s Day has been celebrated since the 16th century on the 4th Sunday in Lent.
5. Mother’s Day beats Valentine’s Day and such other days as far as flower purchasing is concerned as it is regarded as the biggest event in the UK’s flower industry. During this period the UK’s sales of flowers increase by an average of 40%, making it a very busy period for florists.