5 Vegetarian Recipes for Winter
In winter, you need food that is healthy as well as stays in your stomach for a long time. Non-vegetarians can suffice well with the meat, fish and poultry that they intake. But what about the vegetarians? How do they make healthy food as well as food that lasts for long in the stomach? Well, we’ve got the answer right here. Given below are 5 vegetarian recipes for winter.
1. Barley Soup
6 cups vegetable stock
2 cups water
1½ pounds of tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 cup pearl barley
Fresh herbs, minced (optional)
1. Mix together vegetable stock and water in a pot and boil them on high heat. Put in all the ingredients except the herbs.
2. Stir the ingredients, return to boil and reduce the flame to low. Cover the pot with a lid.
3. Let it simmer, while stirring it. Continue this till the barley turns tender. This will take around 45 minutes.
4. Garnish it with fresh herbs and serve.
2. Cabbage Rolls
15 large green cabbage leaves
7½ oz package of Spanish-style rice mix
1 large onion, diced
¼ cup white vinegar
2½ oz vegetarian ham or pepperoni, diced
1 medium red or yellow bell pepper, diced
15 oz stewed tomatoes with juice
10 oz tomato soup
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ cup water
1. Put cabbage in a pot and cover it with water. Boil it, then reduce heat to low. Add vinegar and cover the pot and let it simmer until the cabbage becomes little soft. Remove the water and set the pot aside.
2. Following the package directions, prepare Spanish rice with the skewed tomatoes. Set it aside.
3. Now heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan at medium high heat. Add pepper, onions, ham and sauté for 5 minutes. Mix it with the Spanish rice.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F and oil the baking dish.
5. Keep a cabbage leaf on a plate and place an appropriate amount of the mixture in the leaf. Roll the leaf and keep it in the dish. Do this with the remaining cabbage leaves and mixture.
6. Pour tomato soup and water over the cabbage rolls. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 1½ hours till cabbage turns tender.
7. Serve hot.