15 Interesting Facts About Desperate Housewives You Must Know
The multiple Emmy, Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild award winner, Desperate Housewives, basically set in America is one of the most watched television series worldwide. Even after eight successful seasons, the popularity of this show has only kept increasing day by day. Can’t get enough of your favorite television soap? Lucky for you, I’ve got 15 interesting behind the camera facts about Desperate Housewives. Curious? Then go ahead, read!
- ‘Desperate Housewives’ was not the original title for this popular series. The other two titles considered were The Secrets of Westeria Lane and The Secret Lives of Housewives.
- Even before Desperate Housewives was made, the creator Marc Cherry was having a conversation with his mother about their childhood. She told him that raising him and his siblings without their father most of the time would often make her feel “desperate”. From here he got the idea of writing the pilot of this unforgettable drama series.
- The character Bree Van de Kamp played by Marcia Cross is somewhat based on the real life character of Marc Cherry’s mother.
- For the part of Bree Van de Kamp, Dana Delany was originally considered. However after she declined this consideration about three times, the part was given to Marcia Cross.
- Remember the scene when Susan Mayer stumbles and falls into a wedding cake? While the shooting of this particular scene was going on, Teri Hatcher who plays Susan really had a fall and broke two of her ribs. The production was going to come to a halt, but Susan insisted that they go on with it.
- Teri Hatcher is the first person ever who has won the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series, for a television show that had not even completed its first season.
- The show started off as a female driven comedy show. However all the networks turned it down. So a few changes were made, and the show was now pitched as a night time soap opera. The result? We can it see in front of us!
- The role of Gabrielle played by Eva Longoria, was originally offered to Roselyn Sanchez. All was well, but she lost this role on the day of the final auditions to Eva.