15 Benefits of Tomatoes
Knowledge is knowing that tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad. Sadly, most of us are not aware of this fact. Also ignored by us are the facts about the benefits of tomato. Tomato is an excellent fruit that helps your body, skin and health too. Though there are quite a few varieties of tomatoes like tomato-sized fruit, vegetable tomato and cherry tomatoes, all of them have similar composition of nutrients and vitamins.
1. Tomatoes contain antioxidants. The lycopene in tomatoes is particularly effective in fighting prostate cancer, cervical cancer and cancer of the stomach.
2. Tomatoes are also rich in good cholesterol. They protect the heart. Regular consumption of tomatoes helps in reducing the levels of triglycerides in blood that aid in forming good cholesterol. They also help in preventing blood clotting and eventually heart strokes or attacks.
3. Tomatoes can also treat indigestion, diarrhea and bile attacks. They decrease the dangers of liver attacks.
4. Tomatoes are also rich in vitamins and minerals. Tomato is a rich source of vitamin A which is good for eye health. Tomatoes also help in curing night blindness as it is a rich source of vitamin A.
5. Vitamin C and other minerals are also found in abundant quantities in tomatoes.
6. Potassium helps in maintaining nerve health and iron level.
7. Tomatoes also help in reducing the counter effects of cigarette smoke. In spite of being a non-smoker, staying in an environment of smokers can directly affect your lungs. Tomatoes can help in decreasing these effects. Tomatoes contain coumaric acid and chlorogenic acid which fight against nitrosames that arise in the body due to cigarette smoke.
8. Tomatoes also reduce the formation of gallstones, lower hypertension and prevents urinary tracts infections.
9. Tomatoes are also proven to be a good antiseptic. They protect against infection.