11 Fun Facts About the June Birthstone, Pearl
The June birthstone is Pearl. It means that for all the people who were born in the month of June, their traditional birthstone is Pearl. Here are few facts related to this stone.
1. The word ‘pearl’ is derived from the Latin word ‘pirium’ which means ‘pear’ the fruit. In short, it was named so because of the shape.
2. Pearls are generally milky white in color. They are round in shape and smooth in texture.
3. Pearls are formed deep inside the sea or lakes. A pearl is formed inside the soft tissue of a living shelled mollusk. If a bit of sand or any other foreign object or irritant finds its way inside the mollusk, a lustrous substance called as nacre is secreted to cover it up. Layers of nacre are built up around the foreign particle in concentric circles.
4. Pearls mainly consists of calcium carbonate.
5.In a period of 6-8 years, a natural pearl gets formed. Perfect round natural pearls are considered as very valuable
6. Pearls have been very popular with royalty throughout the ages.